aka Bakewell Pudding
Recipe from Mike’s cookbook collection, Traditional British Cooking.
175g/6oz shortcrust pastry
2-3 tbsp raspberry jam
120g/4oz caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla essence
A few drops of almond essence
Grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
2 large eggs
90g/3oz crumbs (from trifle sponges, Madeira cake, or fresh white bread)
90g/3oz ground almonds
½ tsp baking powder
1 tbsp milk
- Roll the pastry out thinly and use to line a 900ml/1 ½ pint greased, shallow pie dish. Save any trimmings for decoration.
- Spread the jam over the pastry.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the flavorings and lemon rind and juice, and then beat in the eggs until well blended.
- Mix the cake crumbs and ground almonds together and fold into the mixture. Add the baking powder and milk.
- Pour this mixture over the jam and decorate the top with pastry strips made from the trimmings.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 200°C/400°F, for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 180°C/350°F and bake for a further 20-25 minutes, or until the tart is golden brown and firm to the touch.